One woman uses at least 11,000 tampons or pads in her lifetime
I’ve been happily using an alternative - the Mooncup. Have you heard of it? I’d been aware of them for a few years but hadn’t come across one until I saw a special offer online and took the plunge a few months ago . I wish I’d made the switch sooner.
What is a Mooncup?
The Mooncup is a soft silicone cup that can be reused for every period. Worn internally, lower than a tampon, the Mooncup collects rather than absorbs your menstrual flow. ~ extract from the Mooncup brochure
What are the benefits?
It’s been a revelation for me. First up there’s the straight forward benefits;
- no potentially toxic chemical hazards associated with tampons – the Mooncup has never been associated with Toxic Shock Syndrome, for instance and contains no pesticides or bleaches
- no having to remember to buy tampons or pads (I used to use Natracare – and would try to bulk order but was still caught out on many an occasion)
- no disposal issues – landfill or sewage? Neither a healthy option for our environment
Then there’s the more personal benefits
- my period is about a day shorter. I assume this is because the Mooncup collects the flow rather than absorbing it, meaning there’s no disruption
- it’s less sore. The position is lower than a tampon, so there’s less pressure on my vaginal wall – especially towards the end of the period, when tampons became quite unbearable
- it’s more convenient. Most obviously because it needs changed less, I guess
But don’t just take my word for it, the Mooncup YouTube channel has some great testimonials and useful demos, if you’re still a bit unsure.
If you’d like to give it a try, then you might like to click on this link.
Mooncup operates an affiliate programme, so if you make a purchase using this link, I might be able to contribute towards the Gingerbread latte I’ve been looking forward to since last December Mooncup have not asked me to promote their product on the site and I’ve received no payment for writing this short review.
Pssst ... Don't forget to sign up to news from Organikal - it's like a backstage pass to our organic lifestyle, including exclusive content, sneak previews and special offers. Complete the form below and receive your free Divine Spa PDF instantly.