Good Mood Food : A New Project

by Julie Gibbons on August 20, 2010

I’m always surprised when I hear a news report about the importance of nutrition in its relation to our health and wellbeing. Surprised, because isn’t that stating the bloody obvious?

However, there are still some folks out there who aren’t getting the message. Why? Because there’s a lot of very powerful folks that don’t want you to. They’d rather you spent all your cash eating manufactured gunk and taking a myriad of pharmaceuticals to deal with the after effects.

The Mind Sanctuary Logo

Don’t worry, there are some people fighting back and one of them is Tina Gibbons (no disclaimer required – we’re not related ;) ). Tina set up The Mind Sanctuary as a source of inspiration and information to both sufferers of mental illness and mental health professionals alike.

Tina decided to put together a new feature for The Mind Sanctuary called The Good Mood Food Project and I was delighted to participate. The aim? To work with a list of ingredients Tina has researched which are known to affect mental health and create some easy recipes.

Episode 1 of The Good Mood Food Project is live, and I’ve enjoyed working another couple which we have in the pipeline for you. I’ll be putting together more in the next few weeks, so be sure to subscribe to updates to make sure you don’t miss out – and for more top tips on creating good mental health.

Pssst ... Don't forget to sign up to news from Organikal - it's like a backstage pass to our organic lifestyle, including exclusive content, sneak previews and special offers. Complete the form below and receive your free Divine Spa PDF instantly.

occasional email updates
* indicates required

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Jean at The Delightful Repast August 20, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Tina has put together a good list, but where’s the high-fructose corn syrup? (Just kidding!) I think any whole food that is organic and sustainable and well-prepared can go on the good mood food list. It always puts me in a good mood to eat something I really enjoy AND know that it’s production did as little harm as possible to the planet and the workers involved. And moderation is key. Comfort food or good mood food no longer does what the eater intended when he overindulges.

Julie Gibbons August 21, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I agree, Jean – in so much as taking care over what we buy, where it is from and how we use it is terribly important.

But let’s face it, we could live on organically produced, lovingly prepared food and still miss out on many vital nutrients for our good health and wellbeing.

Using Tina’s list as a basis, and adding in some of my favourite superfoods, the Good Mood Food Project will build up a library of easy recipes to provide a balance of essential nutrients for a healthy mind and body – in addition to a healthy planet!

After all, sometimes all of us need a wee reminder of what’s good for us – and how to use it.

Tina Gibbons August 21, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Hi Jean

Yes – absolutely – I agree… there’s definately a feel good factor to eating ethically.. My partner and I have grown loads of our own vegetables this year – and the sense of wellbeing that delivered was awesome!! there’s also something really therapeutic about nurturing yourself with good quality food and loving yourself by spending time on preparing your food with ingredients that have an ethical and happy energy about them…

Different ingredients do supply different nutrients as well though, and some nutrients are more important to brain function than others.. so I think it’s also extremely useful to build those nutrients into one’s diet, if you are keen to nurture your mental health, or have mental health issues you’d like to work on…

Jean at The Delightful Repast August 21, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Hi Julie and Tina, I guess I didn’t express myself as clearly as I should have. I don’t disagree with you about nutrients (I was raised by a mother who was into all that decades before anyone else on the planet gave it a thought). Sound nutrition is vital to all, but especially to those dealing with health issues, mental or physical. I give careful attention to what I eat, from a nutritional standpoint as well as sustainability and all the rest. Yours is an excellent project.

Julie Gibbons August 23, 2010 at 8:38 am

It’s great to know so many of us are on the same page :) Cheers !

Tina Gibbons August 21, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I think we all agree :-) … on everything :-)

Thanks for your positive feedback and encouragement Jean..