Natural Hair Colourant

by Organikal on March 7, 2007

4m
Want to hear a secret? Yes, you do? Okay, then – I dye my hair. I am genetically predisposed to grey hair. It started turning salt & pepper in my mid-twenties. Now I’m in my late-thirties I need to colour it every 4 weeks to cover the grey. I dye my hair myself mostly, and have been concerned for some time about the chemicals in hair dye.

I found some hair dye in Holland and Barrett by Naturtint and decided to try it out. Naturtint
hair colour products have
active vegetable ingredients and are manufactured to the very highest international
standards using ecofriendly, biodegradable packaging. They are also
suitable for vegans and against animal testing.

Any hair dye contains chemicals and Naturtint is no exception, but Naturtint does not contain the most aggressive chemicals, ammonia and resorcinol; it contains the very lowest grade of PPD; uses the highest quality pharmacosmetic grade ingredients and is the only hair dye in the health trade
produced to the very highest GMP standards of manufacture – these are
the highest in the industry and guarantee complete customer security
with full traceability and fulfilling all the latest EU regulations on
ingredient listings, waste disposal and demands to use biodegradable,
recyclable packaging.

Having a lot of grey and naturally very dark brown hair (before it turned) I’m restricted to a few shades at the very dark end of the spectrum, so opted for a mahogany chestnut.

The result was much darker than I expected, but I liked it – the coverage was thorough – the smell was inconsequential – the mess I made limited and it seems to last better than a lot of the retail favourites, with their special built in colour enhancers….

Definitely one I’d recommend. Try your local health food shop, or go straight to the UK distributor for more info http://www.naturesdream.co.uk.

Pssst ... Don't forget to sign up to news from Organikal - it's like a backstage pass to our organic lifestyle, including exclusive content, sneak previews and special offers. Complete the form below and receive your free Divine Spa PDF instantly.

occasional email updates
* indicates required

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Jessica March 8, 2007 at 5:42 am

If you’re looking for a totally chemical free dye, have you considered using henna? Lush makes some really nice hennas in dark brown and black as well as red shades.

Organikal March 8, 2007 at 10:53 am

Thanks Jessica – I used henna when I was younger, but always found it very messy and not totally reliable. Do you know if it’s good for a lot of grey hair? I worry I might turn pink! Also I heard that henna has some potentially unsafe toxins which may be harmful to the blood supply to kidneys and the stomach – or is that just the black henna?

Jessica March 8, 2007 at 4:07 pm

I’ve actually not heard about potential health threats, I’ll have to do some more research.

From what I have read on the Lush forums, grey hair will turn red and act as highlights. Several people have mentioned that they had to leave the henna on for a long time (six hours/over night) to get coverage of their grey. Here is a link to the henna FAQ on the forums:http://forum.lush.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19511&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I don’t mean to sound like a Lush pusher, but I have had better luck with their “Cacas” than with trying to mix up my own using henna powder. It is still messy, but applying it with a brush makes the process go easier.

Organikal March 9, 2007 at 2:58 pm

Don’t worry – I like Lush! I’ve done some research and I still have a few concerns about switching to henna – namely that because my hair is chemically dyed right now – it will have a different reaction to the roots which are natural – I guess a strand test will answer that! The other thing is the chlorine in the public swimming pool – but I guess a swimming cap would help with that too. I may come away with some on my next trip to town and see what happens – I’ll post the results if I’m brave enough…

jackie mcfadyen April 19, 2007 at 1:31 pm

i use hair dye but i have had an allergy test done they say i am allergic to p-phenylenediamine do you have hair dyes that don’t have this in

Organikal April 20, 2007 at 9:06 am

Hi Jackie – the only hair dye you’ll get without PPD is henna. The colour I’ve featured in this article contains only a very low grade of PPD – so it might be worth trying if your reaction isn’t severe. Other than that, get yourself off to Lush for their Cacas – as recommended by Jessica.