I forget where I got this recipe – as with many of my soups, I will have discovered it in a book or magazine, and have adapted it over the years to suit my tastes. I recall this soup being much spicier in the past, but I overdid the chilli one year, and given I’m a wee bit sensitive to chilli, I now leave it out altogether.
Here’s my top reasons for becoming a soup addict during the winter:
1. Soup is the best way to increase your vegetable intake in winter – its warm and tasty
2. Its so easily digestible, it works well for evening meals and with the addition of some sensible accompaniments like oatcakes, really fills you up
3. Low in fat and relatively low in carbs, this soup is sweet enough to satisfy those cravings you get after all the Christmas luxury chocolates – and I get loads…
4. Soup is so very easy to make, and I can make a couple of batches (usually 3 or 4) to see me through the whole week
5. As long as its blended to within an inch of its life, I can also serve soup to Organikal child. His favourite is my plum tomato and pasta soup – recipe coming soon!
Okay, for this one you’ll need some oil, 1 chopped red onion, 3 chopped parsnips, 2 crushed garlic cloves, 1 tbsp plain flour, 800ml-1litre veg stock (depends how thick you like it), juice of 1 lemon and some spices. I used to add some chilli powder in addition to some garam masala – again, the quantities should be to taste – now I’ve settled on only 1heaped tsp of garam masala to avoid nippy tongue and frowns from the child!
Heat the oil and add your onion and parsnips together with the garlic and saute gently for about 10 minutes until soft, but not coloured – be careful not to burn the garlic – keep the heat really low, with the lid on.
Add the spices and the flour and stir for a minute or so, before adding the stock and lemon juice. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
Blend until creamy and serve anytime soon!
Pssst ... Don't forget to sign up to news from Organikal - it's like a backstage pass to our organic lifestyle, including exclusive content, sneak previews and special offers. Complete the form below and receive your free Divine Spa PDF instantly.