Courgette Cake Recipe

by Organikal on August 22, 2006

courgette cake recipe

I haven’t been a lover of the courgette in the past – but it is such an easy crop to grow, and so many summer recipes are livened up by the wee fellie that I am becoming less averse.

The very best thing I have discovered is that you can make cake from courgettes :o )

The lovely Nigella Lawson includes a courgette cake recipe in her How to be a Domestic Goddess book, and its probably the recipe I most often replicate from that particular culinary collection.

The end result is something like carrot cake, and you’ve absolutely no idea you’re stuffing vegetables down your gob!

I’m eating it right now with some organic Moroccan mint tea, and its just delicious. I know its too late to eat cake, but I can’t take photos of it, write about it and put it back in the fridge – could you?

So, for those of you inspired to make cakes from vegetables, here is the recipe:

Courgette Cake

large handful sultanas
2 medium – large courgettes, grated using course side of box grater
2 large eggs
125ml vegetable oil
150g caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarb
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 sandwich tins, greased & lined

filling – good quality lemon curd (I use Duchy Originals) with some lime juice to taste

icing:
200g tub organic cream cheese
100g icing sugar, sieved
juice of 1 lime

Preheat oven to 180 C
Grate courgettes.
Combine eggs, oil and sugar in bowl.
Sieve in flour, bicarb and baking powder and beat until well combined.
Stir in courgette and sultanas.
Pour into tins and bake for 30 minutes until slightly browned and firm to touch.
Once cool, sandwich with lemon curd in middle.
cream cheese icing on top – firm in fridge if preferred.

serves 8 people – or 2 people 4 times over :o )

From Nigella’s book:

Pssst ... Don't forget to sign up to news from Organikal - it's like a backstage pass to our organic lifestyle, including exclusive content, sneak previews and special offers. Complete the form below and receive your free Divine Spa PDF instantly.

occasional email updates
* indicates required

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

keeley martin April 14, 2008 at 11:06 am

i have made this cake it was great and i am only 12 and i did it all by my self for my mom she loves it

Organikal April 14, 2008 at 11:22 am

@keeley – I bet your mom loved it for sure. I just wish someone would make it for me :o )

Judith Johnson August 26, 2009 at 9:59 am

I tried this recipe using 2 courgettes I had been given. Trouble was the recipe didn’t state how big the courgettes should be. My cake turned out quite soggy so I guess my courgettes were too big. I think recipes like this should give the weight of the veg to be used.

Rebecca July 7, 2012 at 9:34 am

Hi Judith, the grated courgette should be squeezed so the excess water is drained off.

anne August 5, 2011 at 1:09 pm

It doesnt say what size tin 7 or 8″ sandwich tin?

Carole swiderska August 13, 2011 at 3:30 pm

My friend at work made the cake and it was delicious,am going to make it this week end,I love nigellas easy approach to cooking

Eve September 8, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I made this last week for a friend’s birthday… everyone loved it, including my 87-year-old dad, who said it’s the best cake he’s ever eaten.

Its light and refreshing and neck-tinglingly zingy. Just moved up to top place on my fav cakes to bake list.

Helen Hates Peas July 30, 2012 at 1:14 am

I made this cake, this weekend. I just used the loose bottomed cake tins I had in the cupboard and realised part way through I didn’t have any sultanas so substituted with dried cranberries :) I added lemon curd into the frosting instead of juice to link to the lemon curd in the middle. Looks brilliant- Official tasting tomorrow :)
XX

Lynn August 13, 2012 at 6:06 pm

This cake sounds lovely. Can it be frozen?